The Preparedness and Survival Site Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:51:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
4969 Posts in 1207 Topics by 199 Members
Latest Member: caddy527
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Preparedness and Survival Site Forums
|-+  Shelter and Protection
| |-+  Hardened Shelters
| | |-+  Steel culvert shelter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Steel culvert shelter  (Read 4458 times)
markmars
Cadet

« on: August 24, 2009, 07:33:20 pm »

Looking to build a culvert shelter similar to the Utah shelter systems. I’ve priced them with a local steel culvert company and can get an 8 foot wide 30 foot long culvert with end caps, and 36 inch entrance and exit tubes delivered for around $6k. has any one done this?
walker
Lance Corporal

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:45:52 pm »

Haven't done it yet but am looking into it. Local company can order a 8x20 steel culvert delivered for $1800 but I would have to do all the other modifications to turn it into a shelter. Thought about using 1/4 in mild steel for the end caps and 36" steel culvert for the entrance/exit.
Citizen Zero
Senior Warden
Warrant Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:29:20 am »

Its really too bad that No Such Thing as Doomsday has gone out of print, the website is even gone. They had a free design on-line that was really cool that used old steel tanks that had been cut in half, but their website is gone too.

You might shop around for a used steel tank that can be had much cheaper. The free design I archived states that 10,000 gallon tanks can be had for anywhere between $250 - $1,000. If you do this, just make sure that it is one that has already been cut into!! 10,000 gallons of explosive vapor + a cutting torch = DEATH , and the death of anybody else that happens to be nearby..

Measurements on a 10,000 gallon tank: 8' diameter and approx 24' long, and they are already rated for direct burial as well (I would coat it with foundation sealer first though).

The other advantage is that a steel tank would be much easier to weld on for interior brackets and so forth than galvanized (not to mention that galvanized is harmful to you when burned off during welding).

Internet Archive captured the instructions in the 2005 version of nodoom.com, but all the pics are missing :cry: I have a .pdf of it that I captured, but I am not sure of the distribution rules (copyright)??

Just throwing in my $.02  :wink:

c0
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: