The Preparedness and Survival Site Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 04:59:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
4969 Posts in 1207 Topics by 199 Members
Latest Member: caddy527
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Preparedness and Survival Site Forums
|-+  Food and Nutrition
| |-+  "How-To"
| | |-+  How to make and dehydrate hashbrown potatoes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to make and dehydrate hashbrown potatoes  (Read 30004 times)
Debra
Warrant Officer

« on: December 15, 2008, 03:46:06 am »

Sometimes when growing potatoes some of them will get "sunburned"...when exposed to the sun, they turn green...or sometimes you accidently spear a potatoe when digging them up.  Here is a bucket that came from my garden.

Peel off all the green skin, and place them in cool water.

Now grate them...I use a electric food processer, but keep a hand grater on hand in case of a power outage. Here are 10 potatoes grated.  See how they are beginning to turn brown.

I have a colander that fits into a pan...(for boiling pastas) Using the colander, I boil the grated potatoes for 3-4 minutes.  Then I run cold water through the colander until all the starch is removed.  Then I place the colander back into the pan and cover the grated potatoes with cold water and add 1 cup lemon juice.  Stir the lemon juice up in the potatoes and water.  Wait 45 minutes.  See how white the potatoes have become. Lemon juice does not alter the taste of the potatoes.

Drain off the water.  I then put the potatoes on a clean tea towel and roll them up and squeeze off as much water as possible...then unroll the tea towel and spread the grated potatoes on my dehydrator sheet.  10 large potatoes make about 2  1/2 trays full of grated potatoes.

Dry until crispy.  Here is the finished product.

To rehydrate, use about 2 cups of potatoes and cover with warm water.  Wait about 15-20 minutes..I like to add dehydrated onions to this mixture also...then fry for hash browns...you can use these in casseroles, soups and such...just remember these are NOT instant potatoes...and must be cooked, fryed or baked....easy way to store potatoes long term.
Citizen Zero
Senior Warden
Warrant Officer

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 02:08:29 am »

Now this is one that we are definately going to use!

Thank You,

c0
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
walker
Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:59:26 pm »

This is a keeper. Cheesy  Thanks.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: