The Preparedness and Survival Site Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:26:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
4969 Posts in 1207 Topics by 199 Members
Latest Member: caddy527
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Preparedness and Survival Site Forums
|-+  Medical and First Aid
| |-+  General Health
| | |-+  shelf life of potassium iodine?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: shelf life of potassium iodine?  (Read 5064 times)
entropy
Cadet

« on: October 24, 2006, 05:38:55 am »

what's the shelf life of potassium iodine if unopened?
and what is it after opened?

Tenacious and Versitile
Citizen Zero
Senior Warden
Warrant Officer

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:32 am »

The stuff that I bought back in 2003 had a two year expiration date, but I have a feeling that it will last well beyond it (I'm not in a hurry to replace it). The FDA has a mandate that there has to be an expiration date on everything regardless of how long it is actually good for (many expired medicines are repackaged and sold to third world countries).

Potasium iodide is a pretty simple compound, and the only thing that I can think of that would go over is the buffer that carries it (read inert ingredients in the pills).

As with all things, YMMV.

c0
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
entropy
Cadet

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 03:29:23 am »

found this!

Q: Long Term Stability of Stocked Potassium Iodide (KI)?

A: Jerome A. Halperin, Executive Vice President-CEO of The United States Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., wrote to the Chairman of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission on January 30, 1998 of a recent assay of 'expired' Potassium Iodide (KI) tablets.

The Thyro-Block Tablets (Potassium Iodide Tablets, USP, Lot T242N, Exp. November 89), after the USP Drug Research and Testing Laboratory analyzed samples, showed that approximately 11 years after their manufacture and eight years after their expiry date, the tablets assayed at 99.1% of the labeled content of potassium iodide. (This result was well within the rubric range of 92.5 to 107.5% required by the monograph.)

See the complete letter and laboratory reports here.

Tenacious and Versitile
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: